Saturday 24 May 2008

Birder's Bonus 22



Tragedy for the two Blue tits (Parus caeruleus) using the ornamental vase in my garden as a nest site (Birder's Bonus 17 Posted 24th April 2008)! I had worried about their possibly getting flooded out in heavy rain but I discovered the vase on its side today with 5 small bodies along side it. I suspect neighbourhood cats who regularly frequent my garden. I know it's highly anthropomorphic (a 'crime' in my area of Science) but I much preferred seeing my two small residents busily popping in and out of their clay home from the early hours to the well-stuffed fleabags coming into my garden to lurk or defaecate. Goodbye guys and thanks for the memories!

2 comments:

Kate said...

What a pity. I can relate to this. Here in New Zealand we wage war on feral cats, possums, goats, pig, deer, mustelids, rats... the list goes on ... But you probably know all this. I'm glad I stumbled into your blog. Will sit down one evening in front of the fire and read your old posts.

Paul Brain said...

Thanks Katherine. It got even more poignant when one of the parents arrived back with a grub and looked about as puzzled as a bird can get. Virtually all your problem animals are ones that we humans have introduced.

Seeing the Changes 2016

Further flowers in Bynea. Pineapple mayweed ( Chamomilla suaveolens ) and feral Cultivated apple ( Malus domestica ) put in appearances.