Friday 12 June 2009

On Top of the World?

There has been much local enthusiasm about the impending opening of the new cafe atop Snowdon, the highest peak in England and Wales, (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8095943.stm). The building of the replacement for what Prince Charles once described as 'the highest slum in the UK" has been delayed several times by bad weather and difficult building conditions. Although the Centre is 'award winning', I personally think it looks from the air like a bath tub (but that might be unfair). I am not sure about what I feel about having such items (relatively common in Europe and the USA) in this type of location. They do improve access but this is at the expense of increasing human disturbance as well as logistical problems in terms of moving stuff up and down the mountain. I suspect that I like to see wild places staying wild.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hmmm. I think I agree. Leave the tops to the wind and the weather, and earn your view by having to walk it.

Paul Brain said...

I always feel that trains and cable cars are a form of cheating. Perhaps I will change my mind with age?

Caroline Gill said...

I love 'wild' - but I also feel that disabled people miss out on an awful lot that others can enjoy (esp where steps, rough terrain etc. are involved). It makes a HUGE difference when accessibility issues are considered in detail. What Katherine says is fine for those who can go the distance...

Places like the boardwalk at Dinefwr are brilliant - and accessible WWT hides.

What's In a Critter's Name? 11. Comma butterfly

The Comma butterfly ( Polygonia c-album) gets its name from the punctuation-like mark, on the underside of its wings.