Saturday 26 May 2012

Planet Earth Live Again?

I am unsurprised but many people seem to have enjoyed the series (now departed), including people who commented on my post. Although some points are well made, I am afraid that I retain reservations about the focus and the approach adopted in the series. Essentially, all organisms (whether cuddly or not) are out for themselves and their offspring. I personally would have liked to have seen more attention directed to the inter-dependence of different species within ecologies, rather than encouraging the viewer to  'take sides'. But, ho hum, I suppose that any attempts to enthuse folk for the natural world are useful. Personally, I am rather more excited that part of my regular running route is now part of the Wales Coast Path (and that its creation forces people into contact with the plants and critters in the environment they share).

1 comment:

mumasu said...

I agree and was constantly pointing out to my youngest, who watched it avidly, that "everything's dinner for something". I think that in order to justify the expense of this sort of programme they have to find an "angle". That's fair enough in its way. I'd rather the angle than not at all.

Some of My Favourite Pictures of Lepidopteran Larvae

Caterpillars of moths and butterflies from the UK and India