Monday 2 March 2015

When They Begin the Lagoon?


I must admit that, in spite of all the hype, I continue to have reservations about Swansea Bay being earmarked for the construction of the 'world's first tidal lagoon' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31682529). I appreciate that a) there is a need to generate electricity in a more environmentally responsible fashion, b) promises of jobs and investment always go down well in some quarters but I'm not convinced that the project will be without problems. The effects on sediments in the bay, the visual impact on what is a very attractive location and the consequences on the animals (fish, birds and cetaceans) that frequent the associated SSSI don't really appear to have been answered. The actual enduring cost of the generated electricity also seems a tad vague. The impetuous for the project seems, however, to unstoppable although I am pretty certain it's by no means a world first. Already, they are talking about 5 of these structures in Wales (that's an awful lot of concrete!).

No comments:

Some of My Favourite Pictures of Lepidopteran Larvae

Caterpillars of moths and butterflies from the UK and India