Tuesday 3 January 2017

Sheffield Limeys


I lived for a year in Sheffield and it does not surprise me that 'activists' are still resisting the council's signing over its care of roads to a company that seems to be viewing the 100 year old lime trees that line some of the city roads as sources of problems rather than attractive assets (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/02/sheffield-tree-activists-vow-to-protect-jewel-in-the-crown-rivelin-valley-road). I agree that the trees should be conserved wherever possible (even if they add to the costs of road maintenance) but I do have some sympathy for the council who, I expect, are struggling with reduced spending and are being pulled simultaneously in several directions (most notably by a public that is tax averse).

No comments:

What's In a Critter's Name? 2. Bloody-nosed beetle

The Bloody-nosed beetle ( Timarcha tenebricosa ) doesn't get into fights. The red fluid it exudes, when handled, is produced to deter p...