Thursday 2 August 2018

Aphantasia is Nothing to do with Disney?


I have known for some time that I don't have a 'mind's eye' (although it took a while to appreciate that many people do have this attribute- it's difficult to recognise a difference when you have not experienced the phenomenon). I cannot visualise people's faces; places I have visited or geometric images I have seen -although generally, if I concentrate, I can reel off their characteristics. I also don't have dreams, in the visual sense. This condition appears rather variable in different people; does not seem especially rare and has received the label Aphantasia (https://www.newscientist.com/article/2083706-my-minds-eye-is-blind-so-whats-going-on-in-my-brain/). The condition is interesting and does not appear to prevent people from being successful in the arts, science and teaching. One thing I would like to suggest is that the advent of digital photography may make life much easier. I my case, my 'mind's eye' is largely replaced by an image bank.

No comments:

'Meatable' and Mash?

The Dutch company, 'Meatable', are producers of 'ethical' meat. One of their recent products, is a sausage substitute made ...