Sunday 17 September 2023

Last Time, Baby- See You No More?

So. This is the end. For well over 50 years, I've taken part in 294 organised races (a mixture of cross-country and road). These have mainly been in England and Wales but I've also 'raced' in Hawaii and France. Distances have ranged from 3k up to the marathon (26.2 miles). That's not to mention the so-called 'training' on visits to Bulgaria; Italy; Malaysia; Russia; Saudi Arabia and mainland USA. I only ever 'won' one race. And that was when I received an over-generous handicap. Winning, however, was never really the point for a person of my very modest abilities. Running (and what's turned latterly into fast walking) was always an aid to help maintain my body and my sanity. I've now become really slow -'knocking on Heaven's door' and with a minor heart defect. So, I will no longer be entering road 'races' as a) race organisers will soon need to pack up, before I get to the finish line and b) it takes up a large chunk of the day for any family who kindly accompany this old codger to the start. Nostalgic local folk, however, may occasionally glimpse me 'moving', in slow motion, over Loughor Bridge. This was possibly my wettest ever run! Climate change?

No comments:

What's In a Critter's Name? 56. Lynx

The lynx's name comes from the Greek word 'leucos', meaning white or bright. This may be a reference to the animal's eyes, ...