Monday 20 September 2021

Another One Bites the Dust 3. My Self-Image

I am not really built for running but I have been doing it enthusiastically for decades. One reason for this exercise choice is that it requires minimal equipment and can be done almost anywhere (unless you upset local customs). Last Sunday, however, I did my 291st organised 'race' (the 40th Swansea Bay 10k). This was after a hiatus of 2 years, due to the Covid19 pandemic. I entered the race in 2019 and got to run it in 2021. The trouble with running, if you are a data collector like me, is that your physical deterioration becomes glaringly obvious. I ran the Honolulu marathon in 1986. My time was modest but not embarassingly so. It was a long way under, for me, atypical climatic conditions but it was manageable and enjoyable. On Sunday, however, 10 k was about as far as I could go. My speed was about half that achieved in 1986. I suppose I should be grateful to be still moving but even my exercise band accuses me of walking.

No comments:

A Chilling Suggestion From BORIS

'BORIS' is the acronym for the Swedish Childhood Obesity Treatment Register. Academics, from Stockholm's Karolinska Institute...