Saturday 23 May 2020

Child's Play

A UCL study has analysed collected information across the globe on the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on children and has concluded that they are only half as likely to suffer from the viral infection than adults (https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/may/22/children-covid-19-adults-data-coronavirus). As one might expect, the useful papers are a) rather few in number (children have rarely been a major focus to date) and b) use rather diverse measures (only a few actually look for antibodies and track the passage of the infective agent within family settings). It does appear clear that children are less likely to suffer severe consequences from a Sars CoV-2 infection (although they are, in no sense, immune and a few may develop life-challenging conditions). What is less clear is whether children can be vectors for the virus, when they come into contact with older people (although Australian contact tracing studies suggest that they are unlikely to do so). There are many good reasons for wanting to 'get kids back into school' I think we need to proceed with extreme care.

1 comment:

fingren said...

Extreme care seems to have flown out of the window, judging by the hordes of pleasure seekers who descended on every beauty spot today, with an almost total absence of social distancing on display.
I feel sad for our wild creatures who have enjoyed such freedom and have lived in paradise for the past weeks, and I trust the young creatures have some inborn road sense and will be carefully watched over by anxious parents.
I could not agree more with your conclusions Paul. I still have some weeks left in which to play out my "vulnerable" status, but I will gladly spend from now until Christmas and beyond to secure my own safety, and that of my family and friends.
The end of lock down, and the speed with which we are practically being encouraged to get out and about, take up where we left off, and carry on with
life as it was pre Covid-19, sits very uneasily on my shoulders. While lives continue to be lost, and parents remain deeply worried about their young ones returning to school, I cannot raise the banner high and shout "we have won the battle", and I suspect the vast majority feel as I do, that the quest for 'normal' life is happening far too quickly, and the consequences could be catastrophic. Jackie Smith (Coite)

What's In a Critter's Name? 14. Chipmunk

This mammal's common name may have originally been 'chitmunk'. It was, perhaps, derived from the native Odawa (Ottawa) word ...