Thursday 12 November 2020

Home and Away?

Deutsche Bank are strongly advocating a 5% tax for each day that workers 'choose' to operate remotely rather than travel to an office (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/11/staff-who-work-from-home-after-pandemic-should-pay-more-tax). They claim that the home-based worker benefits by leading a full economic life, whilst contributing less to the infrastructure of the economy (they are not paying for travel or buying lunch in Pret). The bank calculates that the tax could annually bring in £37bn in the USA; £17.8bn in Germany and a more modest £7bn in the UK. They claim that the tax could (although there is no guarantee it would be) used to fund subsidies for lower paid workers, who are unable to carry out their jobs from home. Just a few points. Workers don't always 'choose' to work remotely. This can be a requirement dictated by age, underlying health conditions or even a need to self-isolate. Also, working from home, can reduce both road congestion and harmful emissions that damage human health and exaccerbate climate change. Surely we want to encourage home working, where this is appropriate?

3 comments:

Paul Brain said...

I am also not sure how the tax would be collected. Who is counting the times that people are remote working? Would the remote worker or their employer pay the tax? Employers may also benefit by having to supply fewer working spaces and less equipment. Some of us use only our own equipment even whilst working for other folk!

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring
writers? I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you advise starting with a free platform like Wordpress
or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm
totally overwhelmed .. Any tips? Thanks a lot!

Paul Brain said...

I started with a free system and have stayed with it. I have this old-fashioned idea, that educational 'enterprises' should be free to all (so I have never been enthusiastic about commercial aspects). I appreciate that platforms have to be paid for somehow. I am also mindful of the need not to be too preachy (and that I might be wrong in some of my takes- I must have biases like anyone else). It is, however, nice to exchange ideas with people from many locations. Good luck with your plans.

What's In a Critter's Name? 11. Comma butterfly

The Comma butterfly ( Polygonia c-album) gets its name from the punctuation-like mark, on the underside of its wings.