Monday 16 November 2020

Perhaps I Have Had a Nocebo Effect?

Like many (some 8 million) 'mature' males in the UK I was prescribed statins by my doctor, to reduce my risk of cardiovascular disease (these compounds reduce circulating cholesterol levels that can cause arteriosclerosis). As around 20% of people, I stopped taking them, when I became convinced I was having side-effects, including fatigue, muscle aches and joint pain. At the time, I found it difficult to run or to push a wheelchair (a neccessary care duty at that time). A study by Imperial College London, convinced 60 patients to go back on to statins (https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/15/nocebo-effect-cause-of-most-statin-side-effects-research-suggests). They gave them bottles containing statins, an identical-looking placebo or nothing (empty). The 'medications' were taken in a randomly-prescribed order over a year and 'symptoms recorded. The trial found that 90% of the side-effects, were experienced when patients took the placebo. It is concluded that there is a nocebo effect, when someone expects a negative consequence of taking this medication. It is certainly possible that that is what I experienced. I, however, changed my diet, reducing a butter/cream obsession and cutting down on meats. My runs are slow but I manage about 8, pain-free kilometres each day. I prefer this solution and think it's working.

No comments:

What's In a Critter's Name? 14. Chipmunk

This mammal's common name may have originally been 'chitmunk'. It was, perhaps, derived from the native Odawa (Ottawa) word ...