Sunday 11 April 2021

Vegan 'Butchers'

There appears to be real demand for 'vegan butchers' in parts of the UK. These are run by chefs, who, on a daily basis, make substitutes for bacon, mince, brisket, sausages etc from flour, pea proteins, soy proteins, raw vegetables, tapioca, potato starches and grains. There are now 2 well-frequented and often sold out locations in the UK. Rudy's Vegan Butcher in Islington (London) and Faux ('false') in Nottingham (https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/apr/11/fakin-the-bacon-shoppers-flock-to-try-new-vegan-butchers. What I still don't get, however, is the need to 'dress' vegan food up as meat products. Surely, if you want to avoid eating meat, you don't need your food to look like it? A vegan 'butcher' just seems to increase the disconnect. I suppose that is just me, as many UK supermarkets now also have 'meat-free' counters. These do, however, offer alternatives without the pantomime.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Leaving my comment here from the perspective of someone who follows a vegan diet.

Alternative products that are made to imitate meat-based products can make the transition easier for people. I loved the taste and texture of meat products. I altered my diet because of my ethical stance but I find it amazing that I can still enjoy the same meals as before.

Quite often I'm faced with people who argue about vegan burgers and sausages being silly and 'why would you want your food to look like meat'. I guess the other argument here is that burgers, sausages and mince are not natural forms of flesh, these are processed products in the same way as their vegan alternatives.

Anonymous said...

I've not eaten meat for 26 years (vegetarian for 25, vegan for over a year), I don't like the meat substitutes as to me they taste too meaty. But for many who are trying to transition away from animal meat, the substitutes are a good way for people to not feel like they're missing out.

Unknown said...

In cartoons, media, advertising etc we've been brought up on a diet (pardon the pun) of food images that contain meat, both uncooked and as prepared meals.
A drumstick, a sausage, mince, a burger etc... 🍗🍔🥓We're so used to seeing them every there we go. Perhaps the dressing up is to capitalise on that advertising?
Or changing the narrative, so in years to come we'll see the Tom and Jerry cartoon from decades past and it's not a sirloin that Tom is eating, but a beef "fake"?
Hopefully future generations will be amazed to learn that those were originally intended to be animal parts shown on screen and in print.

What's In a Critter's Name? 14. Chipmunk

This mammal's common name may have originally been 'chitmunk'. It was, perhaps, derived from the native Odawa (Ottawa) word ...