Wednesday 25 May 2022

Portuguese Man O' War Jellyfish: Neither Portuguese Nor a Jellyfish

I well remember happy days on Hawaiian beaches, bursting the bladders of washed-up Portuguese man o' war (Physalia physalia) with the thick skin on my heel. The Portuguese man o' war is a colonial assemblage, rather than being a true 'jellyfish'. Its bladder enables the colony to move on the surface of the sea. Although the sting (nematocysts) of the Portuguese man o' war can be dangerous, they have nothing like the toxicity of e.g. the Box jellyfish. Portuguese men o' war regularly wash up on the beaches of Ireland and Cornwall. They have appeared again this month around Cork and Galway, generating traditional media excitement (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WkWZdtAAkE). I wouldn't recommend my bladder bursting technique (I am now older and, perhaps, wiser) but I also would not panic on the appearance of this interesting organism.

No comments:

Jumping Into the Limelight?

Jumping spiders don't make webs. As their name suggests, they leap on their prey. A current total of 17 non-native jumping spiders, hav...