Wednesday 21 July 2021

Seeing the Changes 1610

Although it is disappointing, negative information can be quite revealing. I 'run' the same route from Loughor to Penclacwydd and back each day (I'm a boring person). The 8k round trip takes me along the cycle track bordering the Loughor estuary. I pass twice by 6 major accumulations of Butterfly bush (Buddleja davidii) and beds of Common nettles (Urtica dioca). Although I have ocassionally glimpsed Red admirals (Vanessa atalanta) and Small tortoiseshells (Aglais urticae) in flight in 2021, I have seen none feeding (as they usually do) on the Butterfly bush. Only a solitary Comma was briefly spotted doing this. I have also seen no larvae of these butterflies feeding on nettles. The usual butterfly populations seem to be in dire trouble.

No comments:

What's In a Critter's Name? 29. Leopard

The English name 'Leopard' comes from the Old French 'leupart'. This ultimately derives from Ancient Greek, perhaps a compl...