Saturday 1 May 2021

A New Clean Air Act?

At the height of Britain's Industrial Revolution, smoke from factory chimneys blackened the environment. Eventually, it was recognised that this pollution also seriously damaged people's health. The Clean Air Act was passed to largely change the 'dark, satanic mills'. Wood-burning stoves and open fires have now become very trendy in parts of England. These, largely decorative items (they are often not essential for heating), are now major sources of PM2.5 particulates. The World Health Organisation has identified particulates as having serious consequences on human health (especially on the very young and the aged). Asthmatics can be endangered by particulates. The burners will still be legal from May 1st but sales of their fuels will be regulated in England (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/01/house-coal-and-wet-wood-restrictions-come-into-force-in-england). The regulations placed on solid fuels will require them to have a low sulfur content and to emit little smoke. There will, consequently, be restrictions on the sales of coal, wet wood and manufactured solid fuels that can be burned in the home. What happens, however, if people forage the wet wood from their local environment? It will also be interesting to see how the situation is monitored and how strictly the new rules are enforced. What about barbecues and burning of scrub?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a wood burner, but it's DEFRA approved and double burns to reduce the amount of particulates and smoke. I got it about 6 or 7 years ago after doing research because I thought it was being more environmentally friendly by burning seasoned wood from local tree surgeons and it would mean I use less gas which is due to run out in 2050 (I think). The neighbours burn all sorts of things in their gardens, which I'm pretty sure includes household waste, and there have also been builders burning stuff in the houses behind me. Last year when garden fires were supposedly banned due to Covid I had to report neighbours several times for burning things in their gardens, the smoke was acrid and really affected my asthma as they quite obviously weren't just burning wood. Despite warnings from the council to stop burning they still do it, and yet apparently wood burners are the problem!! 🤦🏻 Wet wood barely burns anyway and doesn't produce any heat. I had a bad batch from one local company last year which was definitely too wet, it just wouldn't burn, I ended up getting a refund and had to move nearly 2 tonnes back onto their truck! What about the production of charcoal and burning that, surely a few people having approved and serviced wood burners isn't as bad as the garden fires, fire pits, chimneas, beach fires and BBQs burning all summer long when people are outside more. I sometimes have to go in the house in the summer and shut all the windows when there are fires in my area as it affects my asthma, I don't think anyone has to do that when I use my wood burner for a couple of hours a night in the winter!

Castoffs in Chile

Sixty thousand tonnes of used clothing dumped on Chile each year. Most of this 'rag trade waste' comes from China; South Korea, the...